Pages

Monday, February 3, 2014

Gluten-Free Banana Nut Bread and Baking without Sugar

This week I've been cooking up a storm! With my new diet I am trying new recipes and trying to keep myself motivated by making food fun. I've been doing great so far and am already down 4.5lbs since I started! I know the diet is more for health reasons rather than losing weight, but it's definitely an added bonus.

I think the hardest part of my diet change so far has been avoiding sugars, not like processed sugars in candy and soda's but sugars in baking. As a baker I want things to look and taste the same as before, though I know that will not always be the case.

This week when my hubby and I went grocery shopping we came across Truvia® Baking Blend. While its not sugar free it does reduce the sugar content in recipes significantly and it has 75% less calories than sugar. I decided to give it a try. :)

The first thing I decided to make with it was Banana Nut Bread which is one of my favorite desserts. Not only is this Banana Nut Bread low in sugar its also gluten-free. 



Banana Nut Bread:
(Makes one 8x4 loaf; 12 pieces)

1 1/4 cups gluten-free all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 eggs 
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (I used 3 whole bananas)
1/4 cup Truvia® Baking Blend
1/4 cup apple sauce
1/4 cup chopped walnuts





1. Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and walnuts in a medium bowl. 
2. Mix together eggs, bananas, apple sauce, and sugar in a separate bowl. 
3. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
4. Lightly grease loaf pan with cooking oil and transfer banana mixture to pan. 
5. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. 
6. Cool for about 10 minutes before removing from pan. Set on wire cooling rack to continue cooling.

*FYI There are about 111 calories per slice according to My Fitness Pal. (That is just an estimate though) 

This recipe came out so good! My husband didn't even realize it was Gluten Free! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment